It is usually not an easy task to convince people to donate and support cause. As a newly established charitable organization, management has to make extra efforts in making their position in the society and let people know their purpose of existence. Whenever it’s about giving money or something that could help the organization, it is always recommended to start from the scratch and approach general public and local businesses/companies to make their contributions.
Being a welfare organization, it’s usually easy to convince people for local donation but, the real challenge lies in getting donations from local businesses or companies because they use to invest in things that are particularly beneficial for their reputation in the industry. With this concept, they only pay attention of such foundations that could help them in getting an edge over their competitors. So, to persuade business for local donation, following steps should be followed:
- Make Connections: The first and foremost step is to approach target companies, explain the cause and why has the foundation chosen that company. The rule of thumb is to establish a website, LinkedIn profile and a blog that tells everything about the foundation and its people.This way, the company would be able to analyze their role and future benefits in terms of goodwill and market position.
- Contact the Right Person: Obviously, nobody can directly contact the top management of any company. They have to go through a proper channel so that their message gets the required importance. Similarly, it comes to collecting local donation, the foundation has to contact the right person, whether he/she is the manager, CSR representative or an assistant.
- It’s About Non-Monetary Support: Normally, companies hesitate to donate money on every charitable organization because of their credibility and honesty. Though, it is easier for the foundation to convince the company to donate tangible assets instead of providing monetary support. It’s also beneficial for their operations because most of the people donate money and these foundations lack in having tangible resources to carry out particular operations.
- Set a Meeting and Explain Your Cause: Once the company shows interest in donation, the next step is to set a meeting with the management so that everything can be explained to them. The foundation has to make sure that their questions will be answered efficiently and they do not have any doubt about their performance and operations.
- Say Thanks and Give Updates: After finalizing deal and receiving local donation, the foundation has to start execution of their plans and give updates about the progress so that the company will be able to know how their donation helped the society and people in need.